Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Trip to Quiapo

Br. Jomar accompanied me last Friday to Quiapo. I wanted to have my eyeglasses fixed but I ended up buying a new pair instead. I’m saving it for my next entry.

Let me write something about Quiapo.

It was my first time after more than a year to visit the place again. Nothing much has changed. It was a Friday, hence the place was booming with activities. And to think that we reached the place when the sun was at its peak.

Christmas song jingles blared in the background as the vocal sound of both vendors and buyers tried to compete with them. The traditional trades were there to complete the sight: sampaguita garlands, toys, kitchen provisions, medicinal plants, candles of various colors, religious articles in big and small were there, too!

When I was I college, I would walk from Quiapo church to the university belt where my school is. And at many times, I could not find my way. I blame it on my curiosity in examining the various merchandise offered by enterprising street hawkers which makes me land on unknown alleys. But I would not be bothered at all. For each time, I would enjoy the experience.

I so love the adventure of losing myself in Quiapo, thinking that I am safe. Yeah. Quite an irony since ir was (or, is it still is?) infamous for pickpockets. But I never encountered any of them.

Who knows, maybe in the future? But then, for now, let me enjoy the Quiapo-ish scene I secured in my mind, and in my camera lens.


2 comments:

  1. My first time to visit Quiapo was during my board exam in MLQU last August 14, 15, & 16, 2001, it was very memorable!

    When I was working with Monterey, Quiapo was part of my route from Cavite to Bulacan & vice-versa. Oh, the busy traffic, the jeepneys... Whew!

    Photography is one of my interests, the reason why I also have memories in Hidalgo.

    Your post have reminded of my adventures in Quiapo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi rj.

    i grew up in manila before moving to another portion of the metropolis. but there is something in quiapo that endears me. i cannot even give a word to it. but each time i visit the place, i feel so at home.

    yeah. hidalgo is one of the memorable streets for me since i also fancy photography, especially when i would develop my shots myself way back in college.

    sorry. got carried away by so much nostalgia. :P

    ReplyDelete