Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Laura Vicuña

Today’s the feast day of Blessed Laura Vicuña, a 13-year-old girl who offered her life for the conversion of her mother. To ensure the salvation of her mother, she also added penances and, with the permission of her confessor, took the private vows of poverty, chastity and obedience.

Worn out by a terrible sickness, she revealed to her mother “Mummy, I am dying! Some time ago I asked Jesus to bring you back to God and I offered my life for you… Mummy, before I die, can I have the joy of seeing you turn back to him?”

Her request was granted and she died peacefully on the evening of 22nd January 1904.

In the face of a dreadful society that’s filled with wickedness, the young people should look up to her as an example of someone who was not indifferent to sin. Upon learning that her mother’s soul was at risk because of her shameful relationship with a man, she offered herself to the Lord to bring about her conversion.

No comments:

Post a Comment