Saturday, November 03, 2007

My term is over

These days, I am wrapping up my term as the president of the batch. We're only four novices this year. And if you'll see it in this angle, I am a president to only three individuals. That means four if I'll include myself in the count. I should have ended my term days ago (October 31). But since Migs is in a not-so-remote island, everything is status quo. I'll instantly be just another president emeritus once he returns.

The four of us decided that each will have his turn to lead the batch. Boni had his turn for the first three months; I am finishing mine, and then Migs, and finally, Noble.

I had reservations at first to become lead the batch. I am a lone ranger, and I know this as one of my various weaknesses. I wanted to stay at the backseat, and becoming a president means to do the opposite. I need to call for meetings, follow up people, and at times, function as a pseudo-assistant.

But when somebody floated that idea of turntable presidency, mine was a losing battle.

My musings on my soon to expire presidency has led me to was some nostalgia back to the time of my second postulancy, when I was also the president of the batch.

I was confident in accepting the post, having experienced wading through the postulancy program. It was also a way of showing my concern since most of them were all earning their bachelor’s degree.

In the seminary, at least as how I experienced it, class presidents call for batch meetings when important matters need to be discussed like where to go on unstructured hikes, what item to perform on certain programs or preside a session when sensitive issues in the batch occur (these include correction sessions, or send off party when somebody leaves).

Months after my election, one thing became apparent: the experience was worst than terrible. In the middle of the year, I found myself begging for the compassion of everyone in the batch to allow me to relinquish my post.

That time, the batch was also the subject of various criticisms coming from the lower batches and even from the camp of the formators, no less. Things became worst that it took our brother assistant to call for a session with us to deliver his litany of concerns.

Personal and batch issues went out of hand, and I felt that I couldn't no longer function. I recall that I was also at the height of my crisis then, and I reached a point when I just wished to spend my remaining enthusiasm for my own survival.

Okay. I digressed. Big time.

Conversely, I must say that I had a good time leading this present batch. They’re a bunch of uncomplicated folks, and I felt respect and appreciation despite the fact that we have differences on certain stuff.

1 comment:

  1. hello..can i repose your post? It seems we have they same feelings about our batch. I will credit you for this statement. thanks.

    ReplyDelete