Friday, December 12, 2008

Angklung showcase

Angklung is a musical instrument made out of bamboo tubes attached to a bamboo frame. Br. Dominggus, my brother assistant when I was a novice, told me that it originated from Indonesia. I should take his word for it because he’s an Indonesian.

In the seminary, I was first oriented with the instrument since my then classmates used to play it. It was delightful listening to it. The familiar thud of the shaken bamboos that produce a distinct sound, nay music, is simply fascinating.
But no, I was not playing it.

I had a simple reason: I struggle playing the guitar, which has only six strings, and the sight of array of bamboos intimidated me. It’s too complex for me that I chickened out when I was repeatedly invited to join them.

Checking the YouTube, I got this video featuring students from Bandung University of Technology in Indonesia. Guess what piece they’re playing.



And here's another angklung video featuring a Malaysian playing one of the hits of the American R&B star Rhianna.



Now, that’s a kilometric introduction. Today is the feast of the Virgin of Guadalupe. Not only is she popular in the Americas, but also here in the Philippines. And since it’s a special day for her today, let me share with you a very special presentation. Yeah, it’s also an angklung video. And guess what who’s in there.




No comments:

Post a Comment