Legionary of Christ Father Michael Sliney, as interviewd by Zenit.org, suggests the following seven necessities for parents of adolescent boys:
- Clear guidelines with reasonable consequences from a unified front; cutting slack but also holding boys accountable for their actions.
- Reasonable explanations for the criteria, guidelines and decisions made by parents.
- Avoiding hyper-analysis of boys' emotions and states of mind: avoiding "taking their temperature" too often.
- Unconditional love with an emphasis on character and effort more than outcome: Encourage boys to live up to their potential while having reasonable expectations. To love them regardless of whether they make it into Harvard or become a star quarterback.
- Authenticity, faith and fidelity should be reflected in parent's lifestyles.
- Qualities of a dad: Manliness, temperance, making significant time for family, putting aside work, and being a reliable source of guidance.
- Qualities of a mom: Emotional stability, selflessness, loving service and extreme patience.