Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sinulog in my mind

After the Manileños showed their way of glorifying Señor Nazareno, Sinulog is the response of the Cebuanos, hailing from the Queen City of the South, in praising Señor Sto. Niño.

Both titles of Jesus Christ, which trace their roots from the Spanish era, mark the intense devotion and religious fervor of the Filipinos since Christianity reached the country in 16th century.

This Sunday, all roads lead to Cebu for the nth celebration of Sinulog.

Unfortunately, I will not be there once it happens.

Fortunately, I've got tons of photos which I took last year when I myself was in Cebu to be part of the revelry. I had goose bumps all over, overwhelmed with how this devotion to the Holy Child has been part of the culture and religiosity of the Cebuanos.

The highlight of the celebration of course is the Sinulog Mass concelebrated by as many priests available and attended by an ocean of people. I've got a couple of footages:




To prepare ourselves for the experience, we even had a session in the novitiate in order to learn the right stride and rhythm of the Sinulog dance.

I hope to be able to make it the next time around. Viva Pit Senyor!

1 comment:

  1. viva senior!

    bro, do u know that some are claiming that Christianity has long since arrived in the archipelago even before the Spaniards got here? I'm trying to get hold of the book that says so.. Thanks in advance. I know you'll be sending me a copy. :D

    ReplyDelete